POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Kitchen Visualization Problem : Re: Kitchen Visualization Problem Server Time
1 Oct 2024 13:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Kitchen Visualization Problem
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Aug 2000 14:12:59
Message: <chrishuff-915E10.13141216082000@news.povray.org>
In article <399ac844@news.povray.org>, "D.J. Brown"
<ext### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> Wouldn't you know... I decided that I should convert them all to
> height-fields and I spent the past hour redoing my architecture when
> all I needed to do was put "normal on" in the radiosity block. Then
> again... I guess I haven't lost any time since I would've checked the
> newsgroup at the same time and been just as far along. Thanks for the
> plethora of info.

Ouch...I hope you saved the original scene file first.

> Let me see if I have this correct on iso-surfaces... Basically, it
> evaluates a function at points x, y, z inside my bounding region and
> creates a surface point with that if my function evaluates at or
> above a certain threshold? Or does it create a mesh like the
> height-field does? Or does it simply refer to the provided function
> every time it calculates a point... creating a pseudo-infinitely
> detailed surface?

It uses the provided function every time it needs to calculate a point.
By default, points with a value higher than the threshold are inside the
surface, lower values are outside, and the algorithm "searches" along
the ray for the intersection points. It is not tesselated to triangles,
it is a surface just like a sphere or cone primitive, though the solving
method is very different from any other primitive in the official
version.

--
Christopher James Huff
Personal: e-mail chr### [at] maccom, Web page http://homepage.mac.com/chrishuff/